Hubzilla 7.0 Released!Hubzilla 7.0
is addressing one of the most important features of Hubzilla - permissions. By refactoring the way we set permissions we managed to simplify the workflow to do so and at the same time provide more flexibility while making it easier to organize.Channel roles
have been simplified. There are now 4 possible selections: public, personal, community forum and custom. Personal is the default.Individual contact permissions
have been deprecated in favor of contact roles which are now a requirement for every contact.Contact roles
have one default preset which is defined by the channel role. Custom contact roles can be created as desired. Any contact role can be set to be the default for new connections in the contact roles app.Privacy settings
have been moved to a separate settings sub module. Settings for the online status visibility and entries in the directory and suggestions pages have been moved to the profile.Advanced configurations
are available in the privacy settings if the custom channel role is selected. They have received an initial warning and some entries which are likely to be misunderstood have got advising help texts.Privacy groups
can be managed from the Privacy group app if installed. The settings for the default privacy group for new content and the default privacy group for new contacts have been moved there. Guest access
has been refactored to allow new guests to be added to privacy groups. Quick access links to private resources have been added to the lock icon dropdown for convenience.Other notable changes
- Improved UI for changing the profile photo
- Improved rendering of polls
- Fixed polls for forum channels
- Improved performance when deleting a contact
- Remove deprecated legacy mail addon
- Scope support and improvements for the socialauth addon
- Various bug fixesBreaking changes
- The legacy mail addon has been removed. This means that the data will not be accessible anymore from the UI. The data will be removed from the database in the next release (7.2). At this point the legacy mail data will be lost.
- Forum channels must be assigned the "community forum" channel role in the channel settings. Otherwise the channel will not act as a forum anymore. If you require the custom channel role, this setting can be found in the advanced configuration of the privacy settings.
- Profile vcard was dysfunctional and has been removed from the UI. It might be revived at a later point.
A big THANK YOU!
to all contributors and everybody who is supporting Hubzilla. Special thanks to @NGI Zero open source funding
for supporting this work.
How to Upgrade
1. create a backup
2. execute util/udall from the terminal
3. select a new channel role for your channel (optional*)
4. review your privacy settings (optional*)
5. assign your contacts a contact role (optional*)
* Optional because your old privacy settings will be still in tact until you decide to change them.
Get the Code
Source code: https://framagit.org/hubzilla/core/
Install instructions: https://framagit.org/hubzilla/core/-/blob/master/install/INSTALL.txt
Hubzilla is a powerful platform for creating interconnected websites featuring a decentralized identity, communications, and permissions framework built using common webserver technology. https://hubzilla.org